Savor long summer evenings in the garden, but don’t forget the bug spray!
What To See
- Caryopteris is beginning to bloom, and the asters are starting to bud.
- Tomatoes, peppers, melons, and other summer produce is coming in from the garden at a faster pace now.
- Butterflies are enjoying the flowers and basking in the sun.
What to Do
- Water thirsty plants if they are looking droopy or wilted.
- Prune your shrubs as necessary.
- Clean up your raspberry and blackberry canes. Remove spent canes of raspberry and blackberry that bore fruit this year.
- Keep harvesting your summer crops, such as tomatoes, peppers, and melons.
- Transplant fall crops like broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.
- Direct sow fall collards, endive, turnip, kale, kohlrabi, fall lettuce, spinach, cornsalad, and radish.
- Harvest early apples and pears.
- Overseed lawn with grass seed from mid-August to mid-September.